Kimchi fried rice (김치 볶음밥) or kimchi bokkeumbap is made with kimchi, rice and variety of meat and diced vegetables. I particularly love my kimchi fried rice with pork belly, onion and capsicum. They’re the best combination in my opinion. I’ve never ordered kimchi fried rice from Korean restaurant as I think paying over RM18 for a plate of this goody is too much. I can simply whip up this dish easily anytime! Haha
Note: Use overnight cold rice and ripe kimchi for best kimchi fried rice flavor.
In a wok, add 2 tablespoons oil. Saute onion until translucent.
Lastly add rice, soy sauce and kimchi juice. Mix well. Then add sesame oil and freshly grated black pepper. Serve warm with fried egg and spring onions. You can also add sesame seed and nori on the fried rice.
Kimchi Fried Rice
3 bowls overnight cold rice
1 cup ripe kimchi (including juice)
200g pork belly (3 layer pork)
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1/4 medium green capsicum, diced
1/4 medium red capsicum, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon gochujang (Korean chili paste; add more if you prefer spicy)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons cooking oil
freshly grated black pepper
1 spring onions, chopped
1. Fry eggs sunny side up in a wok with 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Set aside.
2. Add 2 tablespoons oil in a wok and saute onions until fragrance (translucent)
3. Add garlic and pork belly and cook thoroughly.
4. Once pork is cooked, add red and green capsicum. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add gochujang and kimchi. Stir-fry for a minute.
6. Add rice, soy sauce and kimchi juice. Stir to combine well.
7. Lastly add sesame oil and freshly grated black pepper. Dish up and serve immediately with fried egg and spring onions.