I was craving for mushroom soup recently. What’s better than cook it yourself, right? I don’t go for canned and fast food when it comes to mushroom soup. Actually, I try not to eat processed food as much as I can as most if not all have been spiked with chemicals that our precious bodies can’t recognize.
For this mushroom soup, I used the first batch of coconut milk (santan) that I squeezed which has a thicker consistency. If you’re not much of a coconut enthusiast, feel free to use a light version. Since getting into raw live food partially, I ate the coconut milk and egg raw. But you don’t have to follow me, you can cook the coconut milk and egg or leave out the egg.
Mushroom coconut soup with cheese. Simple and nourishing.
First, slice onion and brown button mushrooms.
Add butter to saucepan. Once melted, add onion and cook until they are translucent.
Then, add mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms releases their juices. Add salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. After turning off the heat, add balsamic vinegar and give it a good mix.
Ready for blending.
Use an immersion blender to blend the mushrooms and onion. It looks hideous eh? 😛
If it’s difficult blending this way, add coconut milk before blending. You can also blend this in a blender.
Add coconut milk and mix thoroughly. Skip this step if you’ve added the coconut milk prior to blending. I serve this soup without heating it anymore because I want to preserve the coconut milk’s enzymes and vitamins. Feel free to warm the soup up, but don’t let it boil. Taste the soup and add salt and pepper if they are lacking.
Serve the mushroom coconut soup in a bowl. Add broken pieces of cheddar and coriander. Optional: add raw egg and raw milk kefir – please know your egg and milk source.
Simple, easy and mushroomy! 🍄 If you’re a fan of coriander, add lots! Here I’ve broken the egg and give it a thorough mix. I can’t taste the egg but know it’s there. Then, drizzle some raw milk kefir for extra goodness.
Let me know if you’ve tried it. Feel free to tag me in Instagram with #messywitchen tag so I can see it.
Mushroom Coconut Soup With Cheese
150g brown button mushroom, cleaned and sliced
1/2 big onion, sliced
150ml thick coconut milk (santan)
3-4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
freshly grated black pepper
a handful of coriander
4-6 slices of cheddar cheese
1 egg (optional)
2-3 tablespoons of raw milk kefir (optional); you can sub with sour cream or yogurt
1. In a saucepan with medium-low heat, add butter. Once butter has melted, add sliced big onion and cook until onion is translucent.
2. Add mushrooms and cook until the juice from the mushrooms is released. Then add salt and black pepper. Give it a mix and turn off heat. Add balsamic vinegar and give it another mix.
3. Using an immersion blender, blend the mushrooms and onion to the consistency you prefer.
Note: if you find blending this way is difficult, add coconut milk before blending.
4. Add thick coconut milk to the blended mushrooms and onion. Mix until combined. You can actually serve as is like me or heat the soup for a couple of minutes until warm. Feel free to add more salt and pepper if you find it’s lacking.
5. Ladle the soup into a bowl, crack an egg (raw!) – optional, sprinkle with pieces of cheddar and coriander and spoon some raw milk kefir over it. Important: please know your egg and milk source.