Have you tried making your own egg bean curd/tofu? Why not? It’s super easy, super fast, super delicious and most important of all it’s homemade. What you need is just 3 basic ingredients: plain soybean milk, eggs and cornstarch. I’ve never thought it would be this easy: mix, steam and eat! Haha This dish is perfect for working women. You can easily prepare the mixture the night before and just pop into the steamer the next day.
My first homemade egg bean curd. Yipee!
Some of the ingredients (clockwise from top right): soybean milk, eggs, spring onions and shredded filament sticks.
Begin by beating eggs lightly in a bowl.
Then pour beaten eggs into soybean milk. Add seasoning, mix well and then strain.
Pour mixture into a steaming platter, add shredded filament stick and steam over low heat for about 15 minutes.
Drizzle the cooked egg bean curd with spring onions, fried shallots and soy sauce. Serve hot with rice.
The outcome is a super smooth egg bean curd. Fried shallots is a compulsory ingredients for any steamed bean curd… remember that. 🙂
If crab filament stick is not your cup of tea, you can substitute with minced pork (need to be seasoned).
Steamed Homemade Egg Bean Curd with Filament Sticks
Adapted from Beancurd Flavor
300ml plain soybean milk (without sugar)
2-4 crab filament sticks (shredded)
1 tablespoon spring onion, chopped
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon fried shallots
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon chicken stock granule
1/2 tablespoon fried shallot oil
1. Beat egg lightly and then slowly add into soybean milk.
2. Add seasoning (salt, cornstarch, chicken stock granule and fried shallot oil) and mix to combine.
3. Strain mixture into a steaming bowl.
4. Next add shredded filament stick onto the mixture.
5. Steam at low heat for around 15 minutes until cooked.
6. Remove from heat and garnish with chopped spring onion, light soy sauce and fried shallots. Serve immediately.