Since Chinese New Year is few weeks away, arrowhead or ngaku is abundantly found in supermarkets and markets in Malaysia. My dad cooked an arrowhead side dish for Chinese New Year last year. I found that I quite like the texture and taste. So this year I created an arrowhead Chinese New Year recipe paired with mushrooms and fatt choy. Hope you like it.
Then add fatt choy and cook for another 2 minutes. Add light soy sauce, salt and pepper. Feel free to adjust the seasoning. You can add dark soy sauce to make the dish darker (if you prefer). Mix well and then plate and garnish with spring onions or cilantro (Chinese parsley).
Braised Arrowheads With Mushrooms
8 arrowheads, skinned & quartered
4 dry Chinese mushroom, soaked with hot water overnight or boiled on the same day
2cm ginger, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, smashed & roughly chopped
2g fatt choy (black moss), soaked 3 minutes
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons groundnut oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 stalk spring onion / Chinese parsley (cilantro), chopped for garnish (optional)
1. Saute garlic until fragrant with oil.
2. Add arrowheads and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
3. Add ginger and mushrooms. Stir-fry for about 1-2 minutes. Then add oyster sauce.
3. Then add enough water to cover all ingredients. Let it boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until arrowheads are tender.
4. Add fatt choy and cook for 2 more minutes.
5. Add light soy sauce, salt and pepper. Feel free to adjust the seasoning to your liking.
6. Plate and garnish with spring onions.