Late last year, I scored some discounted canned sardines during an after-Christmas sale. They weren’t near expiry and the ingredients passed my strict rules. All the ingredients are natural. Awesome, right? As I’m down to my last can, I was thinking of sardine salad. Here’s a funny story. I adapted this recipe from Yummy Kai. I found it by chance as I was looking for more information on Yummy Kai which sells free-range egg in Malaysia. I just bought their eggs and wanted to know more about them. Haha
Mini quiches sound more delish, so I decided to make mini sardines quiches. It’s a very
lazy simple recipe plus it’s crustless! It’s quick and easy, perfect for breakfast, brunch, snacking and also ideal as an appetizer. When extra laziness (ahem!) calls, you can even skip some of the steps and just dump everything in the bowl. This is also a gluten-free quiche.
First thing first, preheat oven to 180oC.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please tag #messywitchen in Instagram so I can see it.
Crustless Mini Sardines Quiches
Adapted from Yummy Kai
Makes 7-9 mini quiches
106g canned sardines in oil
60ml (1/4 cup) fresh milk
halves big onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, cubed
3″ long carrot, sliced
1-2 handful fresh grated coconut
1 tablespoon butter + extra for greasing
10-15 pieces cheddar cheese, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly grated black pepper
1-2 spring onion, chopped
2-4 coriander, chopped for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180oC.
2. Cook onion in a pan with butter until caramelized.
3. In a large bowl, add eggs, sardines, milk, caramelized onion, cubed tomato, sliced carrot, grated coconut, spring onion, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
4. Grease the cupcake/muffin pan with butter. Using a ladle, divide mixture into pan (3/4 to 4/5 full).
5. Bake for 13 minutes. Remove from oven and top with sliced cheese. Return back to oven and bake for 2-3 minutes.
6. Transfer the mini quiches into a serving plate and garnish with coriander. Best serve warm.