Nam yue, nam yue, I love you! 💞 Nam yue 南乳 or also known as hung fu yue 紅腐乳 is red-colored fermented bean curd. The red color is obtained by using red yeast rice. Whether it’s fried, braised, grilled, steamed or roasted, nam yue tastes fantabulous with pork. In this post, I’ll be sharing a roasted nam yue pork recipe.
Roasted nam yue pork ribs with meat. 😋
The marinade: nam yue, five spice powder, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, salt and black pepper. Use a spoon to mash the nam yue and mix the marinade until combine.
Pork ribs with meat 肉骨. There is 5 pieces in here. You can use other parts of pork or chicken too. Cooking time will differ depends on cuts and sizes. Rub the pork with the marinade. Best is to let it marinate overnight in the fridge. Minimum half a day.
Put the marinated meat on a baking casserole. Do not throw the leftover marinade from the bowl the meat is marinated in.
Bake for 15 minutes in the oven at 220oC.
Remove the casserole and glaze the meat with the leftover marinade. Lower oven temperature to 190oC. Place back the casserole in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked.
One way you can check for doneness is to insert a toothpick into the meat. If there is no resistance when inserting and removing the toothpick, the meat is done. Also, sometimes when you insert a toothpick, meat juice will flow out. If the meat juice is red, then it’s not ready. If it’s clear, then it’s cooked.
Place the cooked roasted pork ribs with meat on servings plates.
Now, to retrieve all those caramelized bits at the casserole, we need to deglaze it. Add around 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup water and lightly scrape it with a spoon or spatula. Then place the casserole (make sure it’s stove-top proof) on the stove-top and let it come to a boil. Then simmer the liquid to reduce. Drizzle the sauce over the meat.
Roasted nam yue pork ribs with meat with sides of roasted pumpkin and fresh salad.
Roast the pumpkin (a lil’ bit of pepper) while you are roasting the pork ribs. As for the salad, the dressing is a simple salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.
Yup, packed lunch of roasted nam yue pork ribs with meat. Why not? 😛
Roasted Nam Yue Pork Ribs With Meat
420g-450g pork ribs with meat 肉骨, cleaned
3 pieces nam yue (red fermented bean curd)
1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
tiny pinch of salt
freshly grounded black pepper
1/4 to 1/3 cup water
1. To make the marinade, add nam yue, five spice powder, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Mash the nam yue and mix well.
2. Place pork ribs with meat in a large bowl and rub them with the marinade. Marinate overnight or at least half a day in the fridge.
3. Transfer the marinated pork ribs with meat on a baking casserole. Reserve the leftover marinade from the large bowl.
4. In a 220oC preheated oven, bake pork ribs with meat for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the pork and glaze its surface with the leftover marinade reserved earlier (step 3). Meanwhile, lower the oven temperature to 190oC. Once glazing is done, return the meat to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked.
6. Transfer the pork ribs with meat to serving plates.
7. To deglaze the casserole, add around 1/4 to 1/3 cup water. Use a spatula or spoon to scrape the caramelized yummy bits on the casserole.
8. Place the casserole on a stove-top and allow it to come to a boil over low heat and simmer to reduce the liquid. Spoon the sauce over the meat.
9. Serves warm with roasted pumpkin or butternut squash and fresh salad.