Remember my love affair with spaghetti? This is my continuation of love calling for the world famous pasta! Apologies for the picture quality. I took them under florescent light at night hence the not so good looking photos. Made this spaghetti with cherry tomatoes and prawns for my family on the weekend and they all loved it. This recipe is adapted from Salt To Taste cookbook by Marco Canora. His recipe is called spaghetti with cherry tomatoes sauce. Since I didn’t have that many cherry tomatoes at that time, I cheated and uses a little bit of canned tomato puree. 😛 I also added some prawns to it. Hope y’all like this new recipe!
Let’s get busy in the kitchen!
First thing first, make the gremolata. No picture as I was too excited and forgot all about it. LOL Finely mince the garlic, lemon peel and parsley together. Put them in a bowl and set aside. Next, peel prawn and deveined. Then, stem and halved cherry tomatoes.
Now bring a pot of salted water to boil and add pasta. Cook and stir occasionally until spaghetti is NOT quite al dente (because you’re going to cook it a second time later).
Meanwhile, add oil, garlic, peperoncini and parsley in a large pan. Cook over low heat.
Once the garlic begins to color, increase the heat to medium. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook the tomatoes until they are soft and starting to fall apart.
Add prawns and tomato puree. Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
Now remove pasta out of water and add to the pan. Toss and stir the pasta, about 2-3 minutes. Finally add freshly grated Parmigiano. Serve pasta with gremolata.
According to Marco, adding the gremolata to the spaghetti at the last moment wakes up the flavours of the cherry tomato ‘sauce’ in an unexpected but wonderful way.
What can I say? A superb pasta dish. Hehehe
Spaghetti with Cherry Tomatoes & Prawns
Adapted from Salt To Taste by Marco Canora with Catherine Young
For the gremolata:
2 large garlic cloves, peeled
Strips of peel from 1/2 lemon, white pith removed
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
For the pasta and sauce:
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
Pinch of minced peperoncini or red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
200g cherry tomatoes, stemmed and halved
10 tablespoons tomato puree
12 prawns, peeled and deveined
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
To make the gremolata:
1. Finely mince garlic, lemon peel and parsley together. Put aside.
To Make the pasta and sauce:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, while stirring occasionally until pasta is not quite al dente.
2. Meanwhile, place oil, garlic, peperoncini and parsley in a large pan. Cook over low heat.
3. Once the garlic begins to color, turn the heat to medium and add tomatoes.
4. Add salt and pepper and cook the tomatoes until they are soft and starting to fall apart.
5. Add prawn and tomato puree. Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
6. Remove pasta out of the water and add it to the pan. Cook while tossing frequently, about 2-3 minutes.
7. Finally, add freshly grated Parmigiano. Serve the pasta with gremolata.