Continuing my love for saffron, I’m sharing with you this delightful saffron drink from an Indian recipe. This saffron-flavored drink is top with a scoop of saffron ice-cream which I had shared previously. Please give it a try and let me know if you like it because I love it very much. 🙂
Zafrani Sharbat – Cold Saffron-Flavored Drink.
Refer below for full recipe. No step by step photos as the recipe is simple to follow.
Here’s how to blanch almonds and pistachios:
Blanch the almonds and pistachios in a cup of boiling water for 5 minutes. Sieve the nuts out and rub off the skins.
These are silvered almonds and pistachios.
Lovely drink. A nice thirst quencher for hot day! The addition of cardamom is refreshing.
Zafrani Sharbat – Cold Saffron-Flavored Drink
Adapted from Mastering the Art of Indian Cooking by Sanjeev Kapoor
10 saffron treads
1 litre milk
pinch of ground green cardamom
10 to 12 almonds, blanched and silvered
6 to 8 pistachios, blanched and silvered
4 scoops saffron ice-cream
Note: To blanch almonds and pistachios, place them in a cup of boiling water for about 5 minutes. Drain and rub off the skins.
1. Place a saucepan over high heat, add the milk and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile scoop out 2 tablespoons of hot milk from the saucepan and place in a cup. Add saffron treads into the hot milk and set aside.
3. Add sugar and cardamom into the saucepan filled with saffron milk (step 1) and simmer for another 5 to 6 minutes, until thick and creamy.
4. Remove from heat, add almonds and pistachios. Stir well. Let cool to room temperature and then chill in the refrigerator.
5. Pour saffron milk into 4 glasses, top each with a scoop of ice cream and serve immediately. If you don’t have saffron ice-cream, plain vanilla works too.