Gluten free and dairy free dessert are quite sought after nowadays. Not because it’s hip or anything but because of health issue such as celiac disease and lactose intolerance. So today I decided to share this gluten and dairy free macadamia brownies so everyone can enjoy. This recipe is adapted from Rachel Allen’s Cake.
So wonderful! Do try it ya.
You will need a 20cm x 20cm (8″ x 8″) square cake tin with 5cm (2″) sides for this recipe.
First thing first, preheat oven to 180oC. Then line the square cake tin with baking paper at the side and base.
Some of the ingredients; from left clockwise: vanilla extract, eggs, baking powder, rice flour, groundnut oil, brown sugar, macadamia and ground almonds.
Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan with simmering water. Once the chocolate is melted remove from heat.
Add sugar, groundnut oil, vanilla extract and eggs. Whisk it well.
Next add ground almonds, rice flour, salt, baking powder and chopped macadamia. Carefully fold in until well mixed.
Pour the mixture into the cake tin.
Place 16 whole macadamias evenly on the surface. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a skewer or toothpick inserted into the center should come out with some wet chocolate on it.
Remove from oven and let it cool in the tin for at least an hour before removing the cake. Slice the brownies into 16 squares.
It may not be the best looking brownies (with the sinking macadamia) but it was damn delicious. It’s soft and moist on the inside. I pretty much ate these brownies with ice-cream. Heaven!
Gluten & Dairy Free Macadamia Brownies
Adapted from Cake by Rachel Allen
Makes 16 brownies
125g dark chocolate, in drops or broken into pieces
180g soft dark brown sugar (original recipe require 225g)
125ml sunflower oil (I used groundnut oil)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
75g ground almonds
25g rice flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder or gluten-free baking powder
75g macadamia, chopped plus 16 whole macadamia to decorate
1 x 20cm x 20cm (8″ x 8″) square cake tin with 5cm (2″) sides
1. Preheat oven to 180oC. Line the base and sides of tin with baking paper.
2. In a heatproof bowl, place chocolate and place over a saucepan of simmering water. Melt the chocolate while stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add sugar, sunflower oil, vanilla extract and eggs. Whisk together well.
3. Next, add ground almonds, rice flour, salt, baking powder and chopped macadamia. Mix until combined.
4. Pour the brownies batter into a 20cm x 20cm (8″ x 8″) square cake tin with 5cm (2″) sides. Then place 16 whole macadamia in an even grid on top.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre should come out with some wet chocolate on it.
6. Remove from oven and let the brownies to cool in the tin for at least an hour before removing the cake. Cutting into 16 squares (each with a macadamia in the middle) to serve.