Guacamole is a Mexican dip, snack, appetizer made from avocado. And it is one of my favorite snack. This is how I first fall head over heels with avocado… with the introduction of guacamole into my life! And who introduces guacamole to me? Food Safari; Mexican episode.
Not sure how to choose & cut avocados? Read my Buying, Choosing & Cutting Avocado guide.
Over time, avocado will start to brown due to oxidation with the air. Lemon juice helps prevent browning.
Add tomatoes & mix well before serving.
Classic Guacamole Recipe
2 ripe avocados, mashed
3 medium onions, finely chopped
2 red chilies, finely chopped
1/2 ripe tomato, cubed
3 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
1. Chop onions, chilies and cilantro finely.
2. Remove pulp and seed of tomato and chop into cubes.
3. Cut avocado into half and remove seed, Scoop the avocado flesh into a plate and mash it.
4. Add chopped onions, chilies, cilantro, salt, black pepper and lemon juice and mashed some more. Taste and adjust salt & pepper.
5. Wrap guacamole with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
6. Add tomato and mix guacamole well before serving.