Guacamole is a Mexican dip, snack, appetizer made from avocado. And it is one of my favorite snack. This is how I first fall head over heels with avocado… with the introduction of guacamole into my life! And who introduces guacamole to me? Food Safari; Mexican episode.
Guacamole ingredients: onion, chilies, tomato and cilantro.
Grab 2 ripe avocados.
Not sure how to choose & cut avocados? Read my Buying, Choosing & Cutting Avocado guide.
Make sure you scoop out the very last flesh of avocado from the skin.
Mash the avocado with a fork.
Add the supporting ingredients (chopped onions, chilies, cilantro), salt, pepper and lemon and mash some more.
Now this is more like it.
Over time, avocado will start to brown due to oxidation with the air. Lemon juice helps prevent browning.
Cover the guacamole plate with plastic wrap (ensure no air pockets) to prevent air oxidation. Chill in the fridge.
Add tomatoes & mix well before serving.
Dip guacamole with tacos, spread on sandwich, add to tortillas… YUM YUM Classic and appetizing! Try it today ya. 🙂
Classic Guacamole Recipe
2 ripe avocados, mashed
3 medium onions, finely chopped
2 red chilies, finely chopped
1/2 ripe tomato, cubed
3 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
1. Chop onions, chilies and cilantro finely.
2. Remove pulp and seed of tomato and chop into cubes.
3. Cut avocado into half and remove seed, Scoop the avocado flesh into a plate and mash it.
4. Add chopped onions, chilies, cilantro, salt, black pepper and lemon juice and mashed some more. Taste and adjust salt & pepper.
5. Wrap guacamole with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
6. Add tomato and mix guacamole well before serving.