My dad’s been making this lovely steamed minced pork dish every weekend. That’s the way my dad operate. If something is good he’ll cook it every weekend. We don’t cook on weekdays instead we have a Chinese/Nyonya caterer deliver our dinner to us. :)
So how yummy is this dish? All I can tell you is the mushroom is so soft and the pork is very flavorful (coupled with bits and pieces of the heavenly salted duck egg-ham tan) until I can just swallow the whole damn thing! LOL It’s so good that I know I must share with you all.
So here it is with dad as the cook and I as the recipe jotter cum photographer.
Begin by soaking 4 large Chinese mushroom with hot water for few hours/overnight to soften them.
Add water into the steamer and let it boil. You can use wok as a steamer too.
L-R: cut off the mushroom stem, slice mushroom into small cubes (nibble size)
Next we need 2 salted duck eggs.
L-R: salted duck egg covered with charcoal, use hand to remove charcoal and clean under running water after that
Clockwise L-R: cleaned salted duck egg, crack salted duck egg with spoon or tip of the bowl, put yolk and white into a bowl, slice yolks into smaller pieces
L-R: Thinly slice 4 pieces of ginger, cut them into tiny pieces.
Reason for adding ginger is to inhibit smelly pork smell (if any hehe)
Place minced pork, Chinese mushroom, salted egg yolks and whites and ginger into a heat-resistant plate.
L-R: add cornflour, sesame oil, light soy sauce, warm water and dash of white pepper into the minced pork, mix well
Reason for adding cornflour is to bind all the ingredients together and also to have a smooth silky feel to it.
Flatten surface with back of spoon.
By this time the steamer must be boiling. Steam the dish with lid close for 30 minutes or until cooked (pork has changes color).
Here’s the result:
Looks good eh?
Serve while hot. Best eaten with rice. :)
How it looks inside.
Arggh ‘lau hau sui’ already. (salivating)
Print This Recipe
Dad’s Steamed Minced Pork With Mushroom & Salted Duck Egg
250g minced pork
4 large Chinese mushroom, soaked, cubed
2 salted duck egg
4 thinly sliced ginger
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
3/4 cup warm water
dash of white pepper
1. Add water to steamer (can use wok as steamer too) and boil it.
2. Slice soaked Chinese mushroom into small cubes.
3. Clean and cracked 2 salted duck egg into a bowl. Slice salted egg yolks into small pieces.
4. Cut 4 sliced ginger into small pieces as well.
5. Put minced pork, Chinese mushroom, salted egg yolks and whites and ginger into a heat-resistant plate.
6. Add cornflour, sesame oil, light soy sauce, warm water and dash of white pepper into the minced pork.
7. Mix well and smooth the surface. Cover the plate with lid.
8. Steam dish for 30 minutes or until cooked (pork has changes color).
9. Serve hot with warm rice.