My sis recently bought a butternut squash and assigned me to cook it for her. In Malaysia, you can get butternut squash at supermarket like Ben’s General Food Store or sometimes Jaya Grocer. Since butternut squash is a fruit that’s not grown in Malaysia, you can imagine the price for one. Expensive no doubt. I have not tinkered with butternut squash before hence I was super excited with the idea of making a dish out of it. Here’s my take on grilled butternut squash. It’s super easy and no brainer. Haha
Place butternut squash on an oiled hot grill. Brush ghee on the top side. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Then turn the other side and brush ghee on the top side. Cook for 5 minutes or until it reaches your desired tenderness. I use a toothpick to check whether its cook nicely. If the toothpick can go through the flesh easily then it’s good.
Let it cool down and enjoy! You can eat it on its own as snacks or as an accompaniment to a meat dish.
I happened to have pumpkin as well and tried this recipe with it. It’s yummy too. When cook, butternut squash has the same tender level as pumpkin but they have very different flavor. Although I love pumpkin, I think I would choose butternut squash anytime. What about you?
Grilled Butternut Squash
1 half length-wise butternut squash, sliced to 1cm thickness
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoon ghee, melted (optional)
1. Cut butternut squash into slices about 1cm thickness.
2. Add salt, pepper and cooking oil to butternut squash. Coat well.
3. Place butternut squash on a hot grill that has been brush with cooking oil. Brush melted ghee on the top side of squash. Grill for 5-7 minutes.
4. Turn the other side and cook for further 5-6 minutes or until reach the desired tenderness (you can use toothpick to poke the flesh). Brush melted ghee on the top side.
5. Once the butternut squash is tender, plate it. Let the grilled butternut squash to cool down and serve.