Pumpkin has never been included in my I-Eat-This list. I know I’m weird. Who doesn’t eat pumpkin right? Mushroom was another example. I only discovered the goodness of mushroom say maybe 10 years ago? Haha! My meeting with a heavenly dish called pumpkin with salted egg yolk changes all that. I eat pumpkin now. I like pumpkin now. It’s not near to love yet but hey at least I like it. Hehe
My dad on the other hand is a BIG fan of pumpkin. I’m pretty sure he has a big smile to boost, now that this daughter of his eats pumpkin. Tsk he’s been trying to convert me for a very long time without success. Haha This is my dad’s recipe. It involves very basic ingredients and is very easy.
Heat oil in wok.
Next, turn the heat to high and add pumpkin. Stir fry for a minute or two.
Lower heat and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add few dashes of white pepper. Once pumpkin is tender, it’s ready to be served.
My dad once told me “Just give me pumpkin with rice. I don’t need any other dish.”
Easy Braised Pumpkin
550g pumpkin (cut into 4cm x 3cm sizes; 1cm thickness or cube)
2-3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 inch ginger, finely sliced
1 tablespoon dried shrimps, soaked and roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 cups water
2 tablespoons oil
dash of white pepper
1. In medium heat, add oil in wok.
2. Stir fry garlic, ginger and dried shrimps for 1 minute.
3. Add sesame oil.
4. Turn to high heat, add pumpkin. Stir fry quickly for 1~2 minutes.
5. Add water and salt. Let the pumpkin boil over high heat for about 10 minutes. Cover wok (optional).
6. Lower heat after 10 minutes. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes. Check pumpkin for tenderness. Time may vary.
7. Add dash of white pepper. Turn off heat.