After making dwaeji mandu, I went on to make mandu guk 만두국 (Korean dumplings soup) for my dad and myself adapted from Maangchi’s recipe again. My dad at first wanted some only but after eating a bowl of mandu guk, he wants more! Haha
In a pot, add 6 cups of water, 8 dried anchovies and leftover onions. Boil over medium heat for 20 minutes or more. Add more water if too much water evaporates. Once stock is done, remove only the anchovies. I figured you can eat the onions right?
Finally add 1 beaten egg and chopped green onions. Serve warm with kimchi and some ground pepper.
Mandu Guk (Dumplings Soup)
Adapted from Maangchi
6 cups water
8 dried anchovies
1/2 tablespoons anchovies dashida
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 spring onions, chopped
1 beaten egg
1. Place 6 cups of water, 8 dried anchovies and leftover onions in a pot.
2. Boil it over medium heat for 20 minutes. If too much water evaporates, add more. When the stock is done, remove anchovies.
3. Add 1/2 tablespoons anchovies dashida, minced garlic and mandu. Keep the lid on the pot. You can add some salt if you prefer or add dashida to taste.
4. Once mandu is cooked, it will float to the top. Add 1 beaten egg and 2 chopped green onions.
5. Serve warm with kimchi and some ground pepper.