I found out I like disc-shaped tteok (떡 Korean rice cakes) better than the cylinder-shaped one after tying a packet of this flat pancake like tteok. I created this recipe simply because I have a packet of tteok and leek at hand. This dish utilizes some ‘lazy technique’ with the help of anchovies granule and frozen Korean dumplings. It’s easy, instant and delish.
Yet another to-die-for dumpling soup. Another one is this.
First boil the rice cakes in a saucepan. Remove once they are floating. Rinse the rice cakes twice to remove any smell or starch.
Next soak the rice cakes in cold water to prevent them from sticking while you prepare other ingredients.
Slice the leeks diagonally with about 3cm wide and the carrot diagonally and thinly.
Add olive oil and butter into a saucepan. Saute leeks until it has just turned brown. Then add carrots and pinch of salt. Saute for a minute more.
My favorite Korean anchovies granule. I used it in a lot of dishes.
Then add water and let it boil. Add mandu (I’m using vegetable and pork flavours) and anchovies granule and bring to boil again. Add rice cakes and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Serve warm at once.
A savory soup-dish. It warms your tummy. TLC
Love the texture of the disc-shaped tteok. Will stock up some supply at home!
Korean Rice Cakes Soup with Leeks & Mandu
250g Korean rice cakes
5cm carrot, thinly slice
2 large leeks, slice diagonally
1-2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
pinch of salt
3 cups water
2 teaspoons Korean anchovies granule
18 mini mandu (dumplings)
1. Boil rice cakes in a saucepan. Remove rice cakes from heat once they are floating.
2. Rinse with cold water twice and let rice cakes submerge in cold water (to prevent from sticking). Leave aside.
3. In a large saucepan, add olive oil and butter. Saute leeks until it’s just turning brown. Half way through, add carrots and pinch of salt.
4. Next add water and let it boil. Add mandu and anchovies granule and bring to boil again.
5. Finally add rice cakes and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes. Serve at once.
Hope you like it.