Kimchi Bibimguksu (김치 비빔국수) is a spicy cold noodles dish with kimchi. Literally bibimguksu means mixed noodles. This dish is perfect for anytime of the year and is especially wonderful during summer since this is a cold dish. I’ve made this noodles twice so far and both time I was left wanting for more! Together with kongguksu (soy milk noodles) which incidentally also uses the same kind of noodles are my absolute favorites. However if I have to choose, I’ll go for this any time of the day because bibimguksu is much simpler to make.
Somyeon or thin wheat noodles. If you don’t have somyeon, you can substitute with mee suah (wiki).
Next divide somyeon into 2 bowls. Add seasoning and top with egg, cucumber and roasted sesame seeds. You can make this vegetarian by substituting egg with tofu and adding other ingredients like fresh tomato, roasted seaweed and veggies. Mix ’em well before digging in!
I ended up fighting for the last bowl with my parents. Haha
Bibimguksu – Mixed Noodles
Adapted from Maangchi.com
1/2 cup chopped kimchi
1/3 cup kimchi juice
1 clove of minced garlic
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper paste (gochujang) – feel free to add more
2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 or 2 teaspoon vinegar
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds + some extra for garnishing later
1 hard-boiled egg, halves
1/2 cup cucumber, matchsticks
180g somyeon (thin wheat noodles)
1. Add chopped kimchi, kimchi juice, minced garlic, sugar, gochujang, sesame oil, vinegar and roasted sesame seeds in a mixing bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon.
2. To make hard-boiled egg, bring water in a saucepan to boil and add an egg. Cook for 10 minutes.
3. In another pot of boiling water, add somyeon. Stir with a spoon to prevent from sticking.
4. Once they start to boil, stir the noodles again and cook for a few more minutes until they are done (by tasting one or two).
5. Once noodles are cooked, rinse them in a sieve in cold running water for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
6. Divide noodles into 2 portions and place in serving plates. Add seasoning (from step 1) and top with cucumber, egg and more roasted sesame seeds. Mix well before serving.