Remember my love affair with spaghetti? This is my continuation of love calling for the world famous pasta! Apologies for the picture quality. I took them under florescent light at night hence the not so good looking photos. Made this spaghetti with cherry tomatoes and prawns for my family on the weekend and they all loved it. This recipe is adapted from Salt To Taste cookbook by Marco Canora. His recipe is called spaghetti with cherry tomatoes sauce. Since I didn’t have that many cherry tomatoes at that time, I cheated and uses a little bit of canned tomato puree. 😛 I also added some prawns to it. Hope y’all like this new recipe!
First thing first, make the gremolata. No picture as I was too excited and forgot all about it. LOL Finely mince the garlic, lemon peel and parsley together. Put them in a bowl and set aside.
Now bring a pot of salted water to boil and add pasta. Cook and stir occasionally until NOT quite al dente.
Now lift the pasta out of water and add to the pan. Toss and stir the pasta, about 2 minutes. Finally add freshly grated Parmigiano. Serve the pasta topped with gremolata.
According to Marco, adding the gremolata to the spaghetti at the last moment wakes up the flavours of the cherry tomato ‘sauce’ in an unexpected but wonderful way.
Spaghetti with Cherry Tomatoes & Prawns
Adapted from Salt To Taste by Marco Canora with Catherine Young
For the gremolata:
2 large garlic cloves, peeled
Strips of peel from 1/2 lemon, white pith removed
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
For the pasta and sauce:
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
Pinch of minced peperoncini or red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
200g cherry tomatoes, stemmed and halved
10 tablespoons tomato puree
12 prawns, peeled and deveined
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
To make the gremolata:
1. Chop the garlic, lemon peel and parsley together until they are finely minced.
2. Put the gremolata in a bowl and reserve it.
To Make the pasta and sauce:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally until it is not quite al dente.
2. While the pasta cooks, combine the oil, garlic, peperoncini and parsley in a large skillet.
3. Let the garlic and parsley infuse into the oil over low heat. Swirl the pan every so often.
4. As soon as the garlic begins to color, raise the heat to high and add the tomatoes.
5. Season with salt and pepper and fry the tomatoes stirring frequently, until they are soft and starting to fall apart.
6. Add prawn and tomato puree. Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
7. Lift the pasta out of the water and add it to the skillet.
8. Finish cooking with the pasta in the sauce, tossing it frequently, about 2 minutes.
9. Add the Parmigiano. Serve the pasta topped with gremolata.