Here’s one simple snack made from choux pastry you can try during the holiday season. It’s not a French snack because this method is deep fried but utilized the simple choux pastry dough hence I categorize this yummy snack in French. It’s more or less like the chouquette I made earlier this year except it’s smaller in size and coated with cinnamon sugar.
Merry Christmas and Season’s Greetings to my dear readers.
In a saucepan, add oil for deep frying. For me because I’m lazy and want to save oil, I use a non-stick pan… slanted. Hehe Once oil is hot enough (to test it drop some paste into the oil and see if it sizzle), use 2 teaspoons to scoop the dough about 2cm in diameter. Deep fry until golden brown.
Initially I shaped the dough too big like this size and I found the inside not done even though the outside is golden brown. Hence I make the fritters smaller in size (2cm in diameter) so that the inside can cook thoroughly.
Adapted from Irresistible Pastry
Yields ?? (can’t remember opps!) Definitely more than 50 pieces.
140g grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Add water and butter into a saucepan. Cook until it boils. Remove from heat.
2. Add in flour and mix to form a smooth paste.
3. Let dough cool for about 2 minutes, then add in the eggs (one at a time) and mix until well blended and smooth.
4. Add in grated Cheddar cheese and mix until well combined.
6. In a bowl, mix cinnamon powder and sugar to make cinnamon sugar. Set aside.
5. In another saucepan, add vegetable oil for frying.
6. Once oil is hot, use 2 teaspoons to scoop the dough into the hot oil. The dough should be about 2cm in diameter. Deep fry until golden brown.
7. Coat it with cinnamon sugar. Serve it while still hot or let it cool.