Here’s one simple snack made from choux pastry you can try during the holiday season. It’s not a French snack because this method is deep fried, however it utilizes the simple choux pastry dough technique, hence I categorize this yummy snack in French category. It’s more or less like the chouquette I made earlier this year except this one is smaller in size and coated with cinnamon sugar.
Merry Christmas and Season’s Greetings to my dear readers.
So delicious and addicting. 🙂
From right to left – water, flour, grated Cheddar cheese, egg, butter
First, add water and flour in a saucepan.
Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat.
Add flour and mix to form a smooth paste. The paste will pulls away from the side of the pan. Allow to cool for 2 minutes before adding the eggs.
Add egg one by one and mix until well blended and smooth.
Finally add Cheddar cheese and mix until the cheese is incorporated with the paste.
Meanwhile in a bowl, add cinnamon and sugar together to make cinnamon sugar.
In a saucepan, add oil for deep frying. For me because I’m lazy and want to save oil, I use a non-stick pan… slanted. Hehe Once oil is hot enough (to test it drop some paste into the oil and see if it sizzles), use 2 teaspoons to scoop the dough about 2cm in diameter. Deep fry until golden brown.
Initially I shaped the dough too big like this size and I found the inside not done even though the outside is golden brown. Hence I make the fritters smaller in size (2cm in diameter) so that the inside can cook thoroughly.
Transfer the fritter on the cinnamon sugar and coat well. That’s it.
These fritters are to die for! You can serve warm or cold. I like the taste better once it has cooled down. The addition of the cheese also make this choux fritters unique.
Once you pop one into your mouth, you can’t stop!!! Golden nuggets are love! Hollow inside, just like how choux pastry works. 🙂
Adapted from Irresistible Pastry
Yields ?? (can’t remember opps!) Definitely more than 50 pieces.
140g grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Add water and butter into a saucepan. Cook until it boils. Remove from heat.
2. Add in flour and mix to form a smooth paste.
3. Let dough cool for about 2 minutes, then add in the eggs (one at a time) and mix until well blended and smooth.
4. Add in grated Cheddar cheese and mix until combined.
6. In a bowl, mix cinnamon powder and sugar to make cinnamon sugar. Set aside.
5. In a saucepan, add vegetable oil for frying.
6. Once oil is hot, use 2 teaspoons to scoop the dough into the hot oil. The dough should be about 2cm in diameter. Deep fry until golden brown.
7. Coat the choux fritters with cinnamon sugar. Serve hot or at room temperature.