Continuing my love for saffron, I’m sharing with you this delightful saffron drink from an Indian recipe. This saffron-flavored drink is top with a scoop of saffron ice-cream which I had shared previously. Please give it a try and let me know if you like it because I love it very much. 🙂
Zafrani Sharbat – Cold Saffron-Flavored Drink
Adapted from Mastering the Art of Indian Cooking by Sanjeev Kapoor
10 saffron treads
1 litre milk
pinch of ground green cardamom
10 to 12 almonds, blanched and silvered
6 to 8 pistachios, blanched and silvered
4 scoops saffron ice-cream
Note: To blanch almonds and pistachios, put them in 1 cup boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and rub off the skins.
1. Place a saucepan over high heat, add the milk and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile scoop out 2 tablespoons of hot milk from the saucepan and place in a cup. Add saffron treads into the hot milk and set aside.
3. Add sugar, cardamom and saffron milk into the saucepan and simmer for another 5 to 6 minutes, until thick and creamy.
4. Remove from heat, add almonds and pistachios and stir well. Let cool to room temperature and then place in the refrigerator to chill.
5. Pour milk into 4 glasses, top each with a scoop of ice cream and serve immediately. If you don’t have saffron ice-cream, plain vanilla works too.