I had cookies overload during and after CNY… well not anymore. I’ve tried making Nigella’s chocolate chips cookies before and not the white chocolate chips type and here I have a superb recipe from the The Village Baker’s Wife cookbook; white chocolate chips macadamia nut cookies!
First set the oven to 163oC and line baking tray with baking paper.
Here are some of the ingredients (clockwise from top left); mixture of brown and granulated sugar, mixture of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, white chocolate chips, eggs and macadamia nuts.
Begin by creaming butter (about 4-5 minutes) – left picture.
Add both sugar and cream until smooth – right picture.
Next add eggs one at a time, beat until the first is incorporated before adding the second. Then mix in the vanilla. Next add the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated.
Using a rubber spatula (or wood spatula), fold in the chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. Will add more macadamia nuts as it’s just not enough for me! Hahaha Macadamia nuts are super expensive here in Malaysia.
Scoop 1 tablespoon full of dough and place them at least 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake on the center rack in the oven for 13 minutes or just until the cookies begin to turn golden.
They are delicious! These cookies are not like the normal ‘hard’ chocolate chip cookies. These are the soft and chewy version. Parents gave 2 thumbs up.
They can be a little sweet too (from the white chocolate chips).
White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies
Adapted from The Village Baker’s Wife
Makes 50-60 cookies
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar (I used 1 1/4 cups)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips or 12 ounces white chocolate, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 1/4 cups unsalted macadamia nuts (recommend 1 1/2 cups)
Note: If you can only find salted macadamia nuts, place the nuts in a sieve and wash them. Spread them out on a paper towel to dry before using.
1. Preheat oven to 325oF (about 163oC). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a tabletop mixer fitted with flat beater (I used hand-mixer), cream the butter and then add both sugar and beat until smooth.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, waiting before the first is incorporated before adding the second. Mix in the vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix until just incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
5. Scoop out 1 tablespoon full-sized ball of dough and drop them at least 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake on the center rack in the oven for 13 minutes or just until the cookies begin to turn golden. Don’t overbake; these cookies should be soft and chewy.
Hope you like it!