Chocolate and chili combination is nothing new. But how many of you have actually tasted this weird and yet exciting unity? I have tested this flavour from a chocolate bar once and yet its spiciness level is just meh. No fun at all. Being Asian, chili play a huge part in our daily life. And so in this chocolate chili cookies recipe, I adjusted the chili spiciness just nice for the Asian tongue. It has the hotness at an acceptable level. It won’t burn you but will stimulate your senses!
Note: Adjust the level of spiciness by adding or reducing the chili powder quantity.
After 20 minutes, roll dough into ball about 1.5cm diameter.
Bake at 175oC for 10 minutes. Tsk this is the best shape for the cookie I’ve come up with coz the dough’s texture is sort of like icing. If you make intricate shape it will melt during baking. Also make sure to store these cookies in air-tight container.
When you first bite into it, it would taste just like any other normal chocolate cookie. A second or two later, the spiciness of the chili will then appear at the back of your tongue. Now that’s what I call dangerous cookie! Haha.
Chocolate Chili Cookies
Adapted from Debbie Teoh (Flavors magazine 2011)
Yields about 110 pieces
200g cold butter, cut into cubes
100g icing sugar, sifted
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
25g cocoa powder, sifted
40g rice flour, sifted
120g plain flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted
3 tablespoons chilli powder
1. Preheat oven to 175oC. Grease baking trays or line trays with baking paper/silicone mat.
2. With an electric beater fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cold butter, icing sugar and salt until salt dissolves.
3. Beat in vanilla essence and the sifted dry ingredients until mixture binds together.
4. Place in a bowl, cover and chill for 20 minutes.
5. Divide dough into balls about 1.5cm diameter in size and flatten with a fork which has been dusted with flour each time (or else it will stick).
6. Arrange on baking trays and bake for 10 minutes until firm. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.