I got hold of a lovely french bread or baguette the other day from Jaya Grocer. I didn’t plan to get anything from the bakery actually but the heavenly smell of freshly baked bread is OHMYGOD so intoxicating!
I went nuts.
“What’s that smell? What’s that smell?”
Literally ignoring the stare of the security man there.
“Ohmygod which bread is giving out that smell? Which bread huh?”
It wasn’t french bread that did that to me but I choose to bring Mr. French home because I’ve not had french bread for a long time. LOL
I have a choice of making pudding bread or bruschetta using Mr. French. I choose the latter.
First let’s prepare the garlic topping.
Now, let’s do the vegetable topping.
Back to the celery and carrot. They should be done by now. Drain off the boiling water and wash the vegetable under cold running water to stop the cooking.
Half 4 pork belly slices and add 1 tablespoon of whole grain mustard (YUM!) and 1 tablespoon of butter and dash of olive oil. Add bits of rosemary if you have them. Mix ’em all up and fire up the pan.
Now’s the time to add the 2 toppings (garlic and vegetable) prepared earlier onto the baked bread. Place them back in the 180OC oven for 8-10 minutes. Experiment with 8 minutes first as some oven is hotter and it will harden the bread.
The result: Good gracious crunchy bruschetta! Make sure you try ’em. Please note that the garlic is half-raw so you will get a little kick and very garlicky after-taste in your mouth. I don’t mind because I’m a garlic girl. 😛
What about the pork belly slice?
Garlic & Vegetable Bruschetta Recipe
5-6 garlic cloves
5 coriander stalks
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 carrot, medium
2 celery stalks
5-6 mushroom, cremini
1 tablespoon cream cheese
4 pork belly slice
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon butter
5-6 rosemary leaves (optional)
12 slice French bread/baguette
1. To make garlic topping, chop garlic & coriander finely.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and olive oil and mix well. Put aside.
3. To make vegetable topping, slice celery and carrot into 1 inch length.
4. Boil celery and carrot until soft. Drain off the water and wash celery and carrot under running cold water.
5. Chop celery and carrot moderately fine.
6. Slice mushroom and saute with dash of olive oil, butter, balsamic vinegar and black pepper.
7. Mix celery, carrot and sauteed mushroom with 1 tablespoon of cream cheese and salt to taste. Put aside.
8. For the special topping, half 4 slices of pork belly and marinate with 1 tablespoon of whole grain mustard and butter. Add bits of rosemary.
9. Cook on both side of pork belly at 1 minute each. Put aside.
10. Apply butter on 12 slices of french bread. Bake in 180OC oven for 10 minutes.
12. Add garlic and vegetable topping to the baked french bread. Bake for another 8 minutes.
13. Add special topping on the vegetable bruschetta during serving.