I visited Shanghai and Hangzhou recently. Do read about my experience from day 1 onwards here. On day 2 of my Shanghai trip, we paid a visit to the Old City God Temple. For lunch, we had a go at He Feng Lou 和丰楼 found in Old City God Temple Snack Square. It’s basically a food court with varieties of local snack from many regions. We went crazy a little bit when we saw the abundance of snack that were offered at the counter. Here’s what we ordered:
From left to right:
1. Chinese sausage rice @ 18 Yuan – fragrance from the Chinese sausage envelopes the rice. Delish!
2. 8 treasures crispy duck (2 pieces) @ 21 Yuan – the name of the dish sound so good but I didn’t like it. Inside the roll is mostly rice with weird taste.
3. Steamed juicy crab roe bun @ 25 Yuan – There’s nothing inside the bun except juice with crab roe wrapping the bun. A straw is provided to suck the soup. Beware of the hot soup! A friend of mine taste this and exclaimed ‘Yuck’ out loud. So we just left the other one on the table. Haha But it’s expensive though.
Clockwise from left:
1. Egg custard – just like any other egg custard, it’s silky, smooth and delish
2. Steamed juicy crab roe bun – the one that we forgo!
3. Sticky rice pancake – just a normal pancake filled with sticky rice but it’s yummylicious
4. Fried chicken – packed with loads of chicken skins and little meat. Plus it’s salty. Didn’t liked it.
Like xiulongbao, the bun is filled with crab and pork meat with hot liquid. The fillings are delicious and remind me of ‘sang yuk bao’ (minced pork bun) taste which are widely available in Malaysia. I love the soup/liquid too however I find the bun to be too thick.
This is the map of City God Temple and Yuyuan Garden. Click, choose lightbox and choose the largest size. He Feng Lou can be found in the map. It’s directly in front of Gate 7 called Snack Square beside Starbucks.
At He Feng Lou, take the dishes you want and pay at the counter. This place definitely has its hits and misses. More misses than hits and definitely not cheap. It’s worth a go for the experience.
He Feng Lou 和丰楼
No. 10 Wenchang Road, Yuyuan Garden (文昌路10号豫园)
Yuyuan New Road, Huangpu, Shanghai, China
+86 21 6355 7878
View He Feng Lou 和丰楼 in a larger map
Photos from Samsung Galaxy S3 and Lumix.